Obtain, Transfer, Extend or Amend H-1B Status

How to start the H-1B process

The first step in obtaining, transferring, extending or amending your H-1B status is completed by your department, hiring unit, or campus.

Please be aware that there is no such thing as a “shorter” or “easier” petition for an H-1B transfer, extension or amendment. All petitions require full documentation and processing times to prepare an application applies to any H-1B petition.

Generally, IFSS processes petitions in order (i.e. first in, first review). Upon first review, though, if an application needs more attention, it may get routed differently.